Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Duffy's: Grand slam or strike out?

Saturday night, I decided to take one for the team. Last Friday, Duffy’s Sports Grill opened in Plantation, and my grandparents, dad and step mom wanted to try it out - not opening day, but the second. Andrew, my stepsister and I were game.

Duffy’s is the kind of place filled with tumultuous laugher and rowdy cheers. You don’t have to worry about talking too loudly. It’s great for family meals out, dinner after little league sports games or a guy’s night out.

Signed jerseys, photographs, helmets and other sports memorabilia create the stereotypical sporty environment. Flat-screened TVs featuring football games, baseball games and golf are within eyesight no matter where you look. And the waitresses dress as softball players or tennis stars, with hats and skirts and all. It’s a true manly man’s haven. Heck, Andrew cared more about the 2003 all-star game playing on the big screen, than talking to me, so you know this sports bar is doing something right!  

Though my grandparents only asked for a table for five, the wait staff quickly pulled over another table to accommodate our two extra guests as we all looked over the menu. They didn’t complain about giving us an extra table even though the people in the Saturday-night line around the building, standing in the rain, were begging to get off the wait list and get in.

Because every once in a while I crave wings with a zip and crunchy fries, I had decided, even before walking into Duffy’s, that I needed wings. Without much of an appetite because of a late lunch, I ordered the Wings 3 Ways to share with my dad. I opted for the original, the Asian sesame and the honey garlic, and I requested the wings be naked since I am not a fan of over breading. I typically find it too annoying to eat actual "wings," so I ordered all drumsticks for a $2 up-charge, and I resisted the urge to order the sweet potato fries, even though they are typically my favorite, knowing that I could snag a few from my step mom.

Our wings arrived on a three-tiered platter to separate the flavors. They were served with crunchy sticks of carrots and celery and blue cheese dressing as dip. I was impressed. But Duffy’s initial hit was immediately an out when I realized I didn’t have all drumettes. Not wanting to be picky and trying to shake off the first out, my dad and I chowed down. After our first few bites, we gave each other hand signs to signal that we agreed the wings weren’t even lukewarm. Despite my pleading, my dad called “time,” sending the wings back.

I must admit that our waiter diligently kept our sodas and waters filled. He checked up on us constantly and was eager to correct the wing error to turn the game around in Duffy’s favor.

After the seventh-inning stretch, Duffy’s brought in its relief. My dad and I were ravenous. We had watched the rest of our team devour their mini cheeseburgers, chicken fingers and Ruben sandwiches. This time, our wings were hot. The original had just enough punch; the Asian sesame had a hint of tanginess; and the honey garlic – my favorites of the night – were sticky and sweet. I caught myself licking the sauce off of my fingers, even as the rest of my party waited for me to finish.    

Overall, I’d give Duffy’s a mere single. The set-up and coaches are right, it could just use a whole lot more coordination and practice, especially as a new restaurant on a crowded Saturday night.  

KP's Crums:  If you're game for Duffy's, be sure to ask for the wings to be served hot (not spicy hot, just temperature hot). 

My end of the date rate the plate: Not worthy of another fork unless, of course, you can't find another set of wings to satisfy your foodie call. 

2 comments:

Rate the plate! Let me know what you think.