Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Amsterdam: Pancakes and Poffertjes

Some call Amsterdam "Venice of the North." With hundreds of windy canals, wobbly buildings, narrow staircases and tons of biking, it’s no wonder it’s easy to work up a hefty appetite. On just about every street, “munchie food” is sold. From chocolate-dipped waffles and hot French fries to frosted doughnuts and slabs of cheesy pizza, this city does fatty food right.    

During a February trip to Amsterdam, my travel buddies and I were told not to miss The Pancake Bakery, located just about a block away from the Anne Frank House. After a little sight seeing, the three of us made our way to this homey pancake joint. Our large midday appetites kept our eyes bigger than our stomachs as we ogled the menu.

Sweet and savory pancakes, filled with bananas, strawberries, warm cherries, Nutella and raisins appealed to me, though I am sure if I had had breakfast I might have been interested in pancakes filled with lamb, fresh bell pepper and garlic or tomato, cheese, basil and pesto.

When a rather large plate was walked past us, the sugary smell was overwhelming, but I knew there was no way I could ever order the traditional pancakes. Instead I turned my attention to the children’s pancake list and ordered the kiddie-sized pancakes with bananas and powered sugar. The one large pancake stuffed with chunks of fresh banana and doused in messy powdered sugar was practically the same size as the regular-sized pancakes my friends ordered, and, of course, tasted just as scrumptious.

But Holland is known for their Poffertjes – tiny pancakes that are made with much lighter batter and are typically flipped in their special cast-iron cupcake-like pan before one side finishes cooking. I convinced the guys to split an order of these little delights with me. Being a raging chocoholic, I selected the Poffertjes with chocolate sauce.

Between my two friends and me, the mini Poffertjes were gone within five minutes. We all agreed we should have split a few more orders instead of eating our individually ordered pancakes. Not only is Amsterdam a sinful city, but its food is scrumptiously sinful too.

KP’s Crumbs: Poffertjes are worth every calorie. Bring some loved ones to The Pancake Bakery and split a few orders of different types of Poffertjes. Resist the urge to order pancakes, and I can promise that everyone with a sweet tooth will surely enjoy. Plus, if you decide you want more, the chef can quickly whip more up.  

My end of the date rate the plate: The Pancake Bakery’s Poffertjes are to die for. Heck, the bite-sized babies are so good, you might even want to fork and spoon them on the street. But don’t worry, that’s probably legal in Amsterdam.        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rate the plate! Let me know what you think.