Sunday, July 19, 2009

Forking and Spooning

When asked to pinpoint the initial spark of my obsession with food and restaurants, I am taken back to my childhood days. Every night of the week constituted a different themed meal at my family’s favorite restaurants. As I remember, one night was Mexican cuisine, another was Japanese, another was Indian, and my favorite of all was Thai. I quickly learned the importance of good food, good service and good company.

After spending hours researching restaurants online, watching the Food Network every chance I get, reading Bon Appetite, Gourmet and the Thursday food section of the New York Times, taking cooking classes in Barcelona and eating my way through Europe and New York City, I have come to realize that food is my forte. Not simply an obsession, but my purpose in life.

To me, restaurants are about celebrating on big and small scales. Whether eating with family, going on dates, grabbing midnight snacks or catching up with old friends, food and restaurants bring people together.  

But why fork first, spoon later?

At summer camp, I took etiquette classes and learned that the F-O-R-K goes on the L-E-F-T because each word has four letters, while the five-letter-word S-P-O-O-N goes on the R-I-G-H-T. But it’s not just because of proper table settings that forks should precede spoons. The main dish (the meal that takes the fork) should always be followed by a spoonful-worthy dessert, even if life is short.

As such, with meals, just as well as with real life, everyone knows that it’s crucial to fork first, spoon later. So as I take on multiple dates with a variety of plates, you can be sure there’ll be tons of forking and spooning. I can't wait to share all my experiences about my foodie-calls. Here’s the dish…


KP's Crumbs (aka my extra need-to-know tidbits): The posts prior to this on Fork First, Spoon Later come from my other blog about my life and my travels, KP in the City. I have decided to include these here because they constitute my first food and restaurant raves. From here on out, all of my food adventures will posted here instead of on KP in the City.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rate the plate! Let me know what you think.