Monday, August 10, 2009

Basilico

Last days of summer jobs are bittersweet. Moving on is natural and exciting; saying goodbye is sad. Though not all of us are fortunate enough to have jobs with people we love or subject matters that pertain to our very specific interests, some of us have just that – bosses who know what we are capable of, who give us work and trust we’ll get it done without micromanaging and who will challenge us even if the tasks don’t require rocket science.

I had always thought that being friends with your boss was a “no-no,” but every summer since I was 15, my boss and I have stayed in touch. Perhaps it helps that she’s young and hip (she dresses better than I do, wearing at least 4-inch heals daily to work, and she looks like she’s 24. As far as I am concerned, she might as well be a model.) She’s more than my boss. She is my friend and someone whom I look up to with utmost most respect for her work ethic, go-get-‘em attitude and poise in everything she does.

For my last day with her, Veronica took me to lunch at Basilico, an Italian restaurant in Miami, which is the ultimate hole-in-the-wall. Situated in a nothing plaza with no more than 20 parking spaces, fighting to get a narrow parking space takes a few minutes, especially at lunchtime. The restaurant itself looks clean with white tablecloths and a wood-topped bar. It attracts families and business folk. But it’s the menu that gives this bistro its unique flair.

Like everything in Miami, nothing is good enough unless it has a Latin twist. Italian and Latin, which both promise flavorful food with a punch, make an unlikely, yet incredible pairing. Though Basilicio’s preparation is relatively simple, the menu offers timeless Italian favorites, the majority of them pasta dishes, each better than the next, making it difficult to decide.

Veronica and I chose to split the linguini al frutti di mare with mussels, octopus, scallops and other seafood tossed in wine marinara sauce. As an appetizer, we split the beef carpaccio with capers, basil and shaved Parmesan cheese. Ordering Italian in Spanish made me chuckle, but the food, fresh and full, was nothing to laugh at. The seafood pasta, perfectly al dente and not at all fishy, was yummy; the beef, sliced so thinly, piqued our appetites.

In true Latin tradition, our meal couldn’t be complete without a mid-afternoon espresso served with a hard dipping cookie. Veronica and I left full and satisfied, ready to finish out our day of work.

Though I’m not the first, I certainly won’t be the last to praise this authentic Italian eatery.

My end of the date rate the plate: For a lunchtime fork, Basilico is top-notch.

Basilico

5879 NW 36th Street, Miami, Florida 305.871.3585

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rate the plate! Let me know what you think.