Sunday, March 13, 2011

'Bout Time I Boast 'Bout Baltimore

As I make my culinary rounds ‘round Baltimore, I am slowly, but surely acquiring a taste for charm city and its gastronomic offerings. I’ve had my fare share of bland, rushed meals and hyped-up let downs. I’ve even had one particularly awful meal for free! But despite B’more's slow start, I have indulged in some mouth-watering meals and have pinpointed darling date domains, dingy hamburger joints, trendy hot-spots with booze abounding, perfect for girl pow wows and people watching, and of course, a few, unmistakable regular spots that I frequent weekly.

While I haven’t been writing, I’ve shared tapas by cool candlelight at Mezze; split a rack of lamb at Alizee, giggled over gelato and freshly filled cannolis at Vaccaro’s, lounged at Meli while devouring a plate of glazed salmon and found the best Baingan Bharta at Tamber’s, the most unlikely of places for indulgent Indian. I’ve brunched on “She Wore Red Velvet Cake Pancakes” and iced coffee at the famed Miss Shirley’s, sipped sugary sangria at Nacho Mama’s and even relived my love affair with jamon iberico, ceviche and manchego at Pazo. My foodie feast doesn’t end here – along the way I have dined at the in-vogue farm-to-table restaurant, Woodberry Kitchen, slurped garlicky noodles at Suzie’s Soba and toured the Boordy Winery before throwing back some wine and fondue in its 19th century barn-turned-country-club. Best of all, I grocery shop at Trader Joe’s with my environmentally friendly canvas bag in hand, naturally.

Washington, D.C., Baltimore’s sister city and gastronomic superior, is just about a hop, skip and a jump away. While I don’t visit the Capital often, when I have, my taste buds have been pleased – French restaurants, fresh breads, farmer’s markets and chocolate salons to die for.

My adventure is still beginning with so much to dish on so many dishes. And so, my stomach growls as I say: bon appetite from Baltimore, Hon! I'm back!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!! Can't wait to try all these places the next time I come to see you

    Love,
    Brother Bear

    ReplyDelete

Rate the plate! Let me know what you think.