Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring into Sushi

For the first time in a long time, I heard birds chirping. Winter woes wash away with the sun; unpolished toes are making their way from insulated boots to summer-y flip-flops; and finally, the temperature is catching up to the time jump. Spring is here. To celebrate the season of sunshine and fresh beginnings, I craved light, refreshing sushi.

Among the bright lights of Broadway and Fleet, Asahi Sushi in Fells Point, serves fresh fish in a simple setting. The place is bustling on a Friday night with 20-something year olds pounding saki bombs and slurping miso soup. The reasonable prices are at play. In addition to the “hot” menu, a front-back sushi menu accompanied by golf pencils, lists sashimi, riceless rolls, tempura rolls and the more common inside out rolls – volcano roll, dynamite roll and a few more unique rolls to tempt taste buds.

To quell my quaking stomach, I ordered a ginger salad, two rolls and mochi for dessert. The ginger salad, unlike most, was a chopped salad with a tangy ginger dressing. My red and white tuna roll, with buttery white tuna and spicy mayo, begged me to eat it first. I did gladly, without complaint. Without much room left in my stomach, I tackled the salmon-avocado roll, which was nothing extraordinary, but still deliciously fresh. Giving into temptation at the urging of a friend, I ordered the red bean mochi. Its gummy outside filled with tart, yet sweet red bean ice cream made this chilly treat a perfect end to the casual meal.

This no-frills restaurant has the right food at the right price, and they even split checks without you asking. Despite tough street parking on a Friday night, Broadway’s high-restaurant population zone has people moving in and out quickly. Asahi Sushi is not to be missed for fast and fresh sushi. Oh, and it's BYOB...doesn't get better than that!

Asahi Sushi

514 S. Broadway Street

Baltimore, MD

(410) 534-4255

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rate the plate! Let me know what you think.